Saturday, January 20, 2007

End of an era

Last week I lost my job.

My former employer decided they wanted someone physically present at the office full-time and this wasn't something I could give them. I was given a good-bye severance package, which arrived in today's mail. The finality of it hit me when the check arrived. I worked there for almost a decade. My entire professional career is wrapped up with this company. It's so strange that it has come to an end.

I don't know what's next. For the foreseeable future, I'm going to focus on the kids and the home. Last week felt a bit like a test run--getting used to having no obligations outside of my family and getting used to being the boss of my time for a change--but now it's time to focus, plan, and get a daily groove going. I'm sort of glad this change came in the depths of winter. Winter seems like a great time of reflection--a time to cozy up with a hot cup of tea and just think, which is what I'm going to do after I post this entry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

(o:

Kristen Gough said...

hi ali, i'm not quite sure how you found me on flickr, but i'm happy to be added as one of your contacts. your photos are lovely, and i'm glad to have found your blog, too. blessings to you as you enter this new season of life, a new unfamiliar rhythm, a newness with beauty all its own. i wish you the best!
p.s. you live in a log cabin? that sounds pretty amazing!

take care,
kristen

Ali said...

Hi Kristin--

I found you via Shari's blog (The Glass Door Knob). From your blog, I found your beautiful drawings on Flickr. :)

Thanks for visiting. I'm enjoying your blog archives.

Cheers,

Ali