Monday, February 5, 2007

Flapper Hat

I just finished knitting the Flapper Hat pattern found here (the link is near the top of the left sidebar). The hat is a gift for a friend who requested something in light blue. I was trying to knit from my (meager) stash and ended up using some Cotton-Ease I had--what suckiness it is to work with. It was splitty as all get-out. I'm pretty happy with the completed project, even if the yarn left something to be desired. Sarah's pattern is wonderful and I plan on knitting it again for my toddler in some sort of wool.



How come my stitches look sort of bumpy whenever I knit with a cotton or cotton blend? This isn't usually the case when I knit with wool. No wonder I favor animal fibers.



Oh yes, the flower embellishment was knit from this pattern.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it!

Kristen Gough said...

it's gorgeous! i wish i were a better knitter. it's inspiring to see your finished project!

Sarah said...

The hat looks wonderful even if the experience of knitting with Cotton-Ease left something to be desired. I have similar issues knitting with cotton and cotton blends. My stitches are even but I have use smaller needles. MUCH smaller needles. For instance, right now I'm knitting with some Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora which calls for size 8 needles. In order to get gauge I had to drop down to a size 4. I'll admit to knitting a bit on the loose side but having to go down four needle sizes is ridiculous.

Wendy said...

Lovely - I think Teagan needs one!

Cotton doesn't have any stretch so maybe that's the cause of the bumpy stitches?